Blah Blah Blah

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Punctuating Piriformis Pain

I have a nasty piriformis muscle under my left glute (aka butt cheek). It causes extreme discomfort, making it difficult to sit comfortably on bad days.

I have had two sessions with a massage therapist in the last month, and I thought the problem was solved. I hoped that regular stretching (which I don't always do) would keep the muscle loose and it seemed to be working.

Until Tuesday.

Pain is back with a vengeance.

Sooooo...I made another appointment with the RMT - but I can't get in until this evening (Thursday)

Yesterday I got the brilliant idea to sit on a heating pad, and figured direct and strong heat would work best, so I was alternating 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off - watching the Olympics in my underwear. TMI - but it's important.

After an hour of wax on wax off I felt that the heat was getting to be just a bit too intense, so I shut the pad off and stood up. As I did, I felt like something had let go on the left butt cheek. Further exploration revealed that I had produced a blister the size of a loon (Canuck 1 dollar coin) and the skin had just pulled off. OWIE!!

Instead of helping the situation I have delayed any type of therapy in that area for at least a week while it heals. I am SUCH a dufus!! I'll still keep the appointment and have her work on my hamstrings and thigh muscles which are just fine thankyouverramuch.

The good news is that the muscle feels loose while I'm running but it tightens up afterward, so I'm undecided as to whether to keep running or take a week off. At the end of the week I would be a crazy woman and not nice to be around so I think I'll keep on going.

BTW - I may have to draw the line at water polo where Olympic obsession is concerned. I just can't watch men in silly bonnets splash around in a pool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home