Blah Blah Blah

Monday, October 06, 2008

Tick Tick BOOM!

I had FANTASTIC run this morning! I left at 5:30am when it's still pitch dark out and took off down the street and around the perimeter of the college. I love that time of day when there are no other pedestrians out (am I a pedestrian even if I'm running?) and traffic is minimal. The downside is that I have to contend with traffic lights - and they are seldom in my favour, but that's ok.

For the last few months I haven't really felt comfortable on my runs. I get them done, but I've had a lot of issues with aches and pains on my left side. Oddly enough, these pains started when I started running with Reg. He usually runs behind me, and he noticed that I tilt my head to the left side almost from take-off. I have no clue why that is, unless my eyes are making some sort of weird adjustment. I got contact lenses last fall so I could actually see while running, because my glasses got too steamed up and I usually ran half blind. I also fell a lot because I couldn't see the cracks in the sidewalk.

I digress.

I was listening to the 4 Feet Running podcast the other day, and Dan mentioned that he tends to over-think his running. A light bulb went off. Reg does that too, and for that reason I don't think he'll ever be a comfortable runner. He's always thinking about what he's doing instead of just doing it. When he told me that I tilt to the left side, I made a conscious effort to straighten up. I was trying to follow the rules of Chi running and stand up straight, pull my belly in, and do a mid-foot strike. Too much 'stuff' for me. I will admit that the mid-sole strike seems to be working, but all the other stuff was just too much.

So...I decided this morning to just go out there and do my own thing and to hell with the rules. According to Mr. Garmin and Nike+ I ran 3.5 miles in 37:20 AND Tiger Woods congratulated me on a fastest mile (since I got the new sensor.) Life does not get better.

Thanks to Dan for reminding me to remember that I got into this sport for FUN, not for technical correctness. Some people might be good Chi runners - but I ain't one of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home