Blah Blah Blah

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Agony Continues



This photo pretty much sums up how I feel about winter - and it isn't even here yet . We have snow that is determined to stick around, icy sidewalks, and more coming this afternoon.

My cold is better, but not gone. I feel semi-ok during the day, but wake up about 2am feeling that if I swallow my life will be over. I have to get out of a toasty bed, make tea, let cats in or out, feed said cats if they're coming in, and generally waking right up.

The tea helps with the cough, and I can usually get back to sleep.

My mother keeps telling me to take some Buckley's Mixture which she swears by. Somebody will have to prove to me that I will die if I don't take it, because I got tricked into it once and I will never go back there again. It tastes like turpentine and looks like sperm on a spoon.

UltraDad mentioned in his podcast this week that he thought he saw an 8 day streak for me on Runner+. I don't remember that streak, but it gave me an idea. I'm going to make an attempt to run 'something' every day until the end of the year. 36 days from start to finish - 2 days down. I have no excuses with the treadmill in the basement and if I find myself starting to hurt I'll back off but I don't think it's going to be a problem.

And by the way UltraDad - I'm SIXTY-TWO - not 65!! It's ok - it was nice to be noticed.

Peace Out.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cyberpenguin said...

Hahaha, Lybbe, you crack me up. Love the photo. You are one feisty lady! 8-)

I think a lot of us runners feel the same way! 8-) Many of us would much rather be running in San Diego this winter!

Sometimes I think the dread of winter is often worse than the reality of it. Just one big psych-out, eh?! Then again, it depends on where you live. 8-)

My winter coping strategy is to try & convince myself that it's "not that bad." Not saying it works 100% of the time, but if I can just get my mind to accept it, the runs have a better chance of happening. ;-)

Maybe I should add something else, "I run outside all year 'round." ;-) But then again, I don't live someplace that gets 10 ft. of snow! ;-) (Our area usually doesn't get more than a few inches most winters, but it can get really icy, which is actually worse! It can also get fairly windy, which makes it feel like 66 below when it's only 2 degrees outside!)

The thought of having to run on the treadmill for more than an hour is what gets me out the door in winter! Might as well bore a hole in one's head. ;-) Even with an iPod, it's still torturous boredom.

As for your age, "it ain't nuthin' but a number." You have more energy & spunkiness than people I know who are half your age! So there! 8-)

Hope you feel better! Thanks for the warning regarding Buckley's Mixture. The description alone is enough to eternally ward off the rest of the human population from using that stuff. Eek!

5:35 PM  
Blogger Cyberpenguin said...

OK, that comment was longer than your post. Oops. 8-)

5:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You have a hilarious blog. love it. I'm trying to subscribe but there doesn't seem to be an RSS feed that is showing up on the page.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Kelownagurl said...

Funny girl, loved your post.

I swear by Buckley's. I took it once when I had serious bronchitis that responded to nothing. 3 doses and I was cured. I think it just scared the shit out of the cough...

(The first time I took it I was terrified that I had accidentally ingested liniment though. Double=checked the bottle for "Do not take internally.)

8:05 PM  
Blogger 42at42 said...

Cold F/X, Buckley's or a Hot Rum Totty, together or seperatley

ingest, digest and then mellow out for a while.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home