Blah Blah Blah

Monday, December 07, 2015

I'm BAAAAACK!

Good grief - I haven't updated since 2009! I've decided to restart the blog because it has always been a good way for me to keep track of myself and keep myself accountable. There have been so many changes in my life - most of which I won't bore you with. The biggest change has been the diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes. My first reaction was shock. Then came the fear. Then came the 'screw you I am not going to accept this' phase. My doctor insisted that I attend Diabetes Counseling sessions. I admit to being shocked at the diet they were proposing, but if it was going to get my blood sugar under control I was willing to try. My issues with food have never been about unhealthy diet. The spousal unit and I eat about as healthy as you can get. My issue is binge behaviour to the max. When I feel a binge coming on no item containing sugar is safe. Donuts, cupcakes, pie, jelly beans, licorice, hard candy...it's all fair game and there is never enough. When my doctor told me I am 'pre-diabetic' my blood sugar was 6.8 which is borderline normal. When I got to the class they told me I was definitely diabetic and need to start blood testing and following their diet AND increasing my level of exercise. OK. Let's get on with it. First full day ending with BS of 8.8. Second morning it was 10.9. The numbers continued like that for a week and I was starting to feel really crappy from all the recommended carbs. Rice, whole grains, SODA crackers (a fave binge food)and whole grain bread (another item I don't have much control over.) My joints were aching, I had a headache every day and I just didn't feel right. I asked at the diabetes class if there was a reason for me to feel so foggy and achy, and they said I might be getting a cold. Stick with the diet they said. To be Continued...

1 Comments:

Blogger Connie R said...

I do know the bad stuff you were experiencing was from adding so many carbs back into your diet. The ADA would never admit that, so I'm assuming Canada's equivalent won't either.
I have a friend who is controlling his Type 2 with no sugars and no grains and is doing amazingly well. (Of course it takes a bit to get all the sugar out of your system when you're addicted to it.)
I look forward to the "rest of the story."

6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home