Blah Blah Blah

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

C25K Week 5 Day 3

I have finally accepted that my knee is just not going to be happy if I run. It's not really my knee so much, but my hamstring.


I've iced and rested for two weeks and taken more ibuprofen than I'm comfortable with. If I have to take it every day just to get by, I don't want it.


I made up my mind on Monday to just forget about running for a while and stick to speed walking. I can actually make the same time walking fast for the running portions of the program as I can when running - so speed walking it is. No hamstring pain - no knee pain Bonus. Also - I won't be so concerned about taking rest days because walking doesn't cause any of the impact pain that running does.


There is something about getting out early in the morning that just feels good and sets you up for the rest of the day. My companion Della loves it too. She gets home, eats, and sleeps for the rest of the day.


Last time I was out I met a lovely police officer. He was parked in the shade and Della was off-leash so I thought I'd just stop and have a chat about why he was there in case he was looking for somebody. He was just taking a break and didn't care about Della being loose - there was nobody else around. We talking about running and bad knees. He told me he had surgery on his knee a few years ago because he had a sports-related injury and his knee is better now than it ever was. His advice was to never give up on something I love. Great advice.


I haven't given up the idea of entering races. I'm registered for the colour run in August and I'll do more once I've determined how I manage I a race that is neither for time or glory.


This was the first official day of my streak. My goal is to see how many days I can string together.
Watch this space.


Be careful out there - and most importantly - HAVE FUN!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home